Who We Are
The Presbyterian Church of Morris Plains has been in existence since 1874. The first church served the community until 1923 when the church decided to move to a new location on the Main Street of the town. The congregation rolled the old building to its new site and one of the organisers of this feat's grandson is still an active member today. The church needed further development as the church grew in the 1950's and in 1954 the new church was built and dedicated. There was an education wing added in the 1960's and the building has been serving this community fully since that time.
The church is a member of the Presbyterian Church (USA) denomination and belongs locally to the Presbytery of Newton. The church has sought always to relate to the broadly family orientated community that is Morris Plains and the surrounding townships of Denville, Randolph, Parsippany, the Township of Morris and Morristown.
The church today seeks to still serve the communities in which its members reside. The church is used by the Red Cross as a monthly blood drive location for all within the community; the church is the base for the NAEYC approved Joyful Noise Nursery School. This school provides daycare and nursery school services with a Christian Perspective to many families within the local communities. Equally, in the last couple of years the church has begun a new Memory Cafe ministry that seeks to provide a place of stimulation and support for local families living with dementia.
Finally, the church has an established musical program. The 'Walsh Memorial Bell Choir' and the adult 'Grazio Bell Choir' play regularly in worship as well as conducting concerts throughout the local community. The Walsh Bell choir were recently asked to play at the religious service in the local chapter of the Northeast Handbell Conference.
All in all, the church seeks to connect with its community and is always seeking new ways to find connection with its neighbors.